Saturday, October 27, 2012

Orphan Fever

--------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way saying that all should adopt and in no way am I saying that having children by birth is wrong.  This is simply a cry for the orphan and a voice that is often unheard. I have heard them, I have seen them, and I will remember.

--------------------------------------------------------


I am surrounded by new babies, new mothers, and the newest baby gear. I see pregnancies, baby showers, baby rooms, baby, baby, baby, and ooohhhs and aahhs over it all.  I see the joy, the excitement, the constant talk about deliveries, the 'natural way' vs. 'epidural all the way' discussion and much more.

I look at pictures of my newborns and nearly tear up every time.  I remember the sweetness, the smells, the overwhelming joy.  I remember the slowness, and all the beauty.  Some days I sit and think about doing it all again. I am surrounded by 'baby fever' and it's just the stage of life I'm in.

However, each time I hear someone talking about having baby fever, or hear such words from my own lips, my heart hurts a little bit.  I hear Christ say, "what about the orphans?" I remember when He first gave me 'orphan fever' and a desire to mother the motherless.  It is not always cute, sometimes scary, and not always full of ooohhhs and aahhs. It is full of moments of "JESUS, HELP ME!" but, even more moments of 'JESUS, YOU ARE SO GREAT!!" and "JESUS, YOU AMAZE ME!!!"  Oh, but it is definitely a place where I hear Him. Not to say that I didn't hear him when my two children by birth were born or even now as I raise them, but it was/is a special place where His voice becomes clearer still.

I am dying to hear someone say "I have orphan fever!" "I long to see Christ glorified in my life and I want to adopt!"  I hurt for my three babies every time I hear the words 'baby fever'.  I hurt because I watch them struggle through the pain of loss, rejection and abandonment. I see them saying "Mom, what was I like when I was a baby?" "Do you think I was cute?" "Was there a baby shower for me?" "Did you still want me even though I was not a baby?" These daily conversations come filled with tears and hugs and an ever-present picture of the Gospel.

We adopt because we have been adopted.


John 14:18
I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this:  to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.


The orphan crisis is crying out for help.  Will you have orphan fever?  Pray, pray, pray!



4 comments:

Kathy said...

Beautifully said my friend. You are courageous. To Him be the glory.

Cheryl said...

Jen--God gave you a heart so big, so compassionate, so loving--big enough to have room for your own physically born precious children and for the other precious ones who were born in your heart. God bless you for following his leading and opening your heart and home to three more.

Holden and Rachel Barry said...

Jen, thank you so much for your post. I completely agree about the orphan fever. Would love to talk to you more about this.

Rachel Barry

Paula said...

I have orphan fever. All the time.

WHEN will we be able to get together?